A variation of the Alexander, a gin based cocktail, Brandy Alexander is a brandy based sweet cocktail which became popular in the early 20th century. It is a popular drink for classy ladies and gents everywhere.
Its main ingredients are creme de cacao and cognac. According to stories, it got its name from Alexander II, the Russian tsar. Let’s take a detailed look at its recipe.
Brandy Alexander Ingredients
- 1 Oz cream
- 1 Oz brandy
- 1 Oz dark colored crème de cacao
- Ground nutmeg for garnish
For those who don’t know, Crème de cacao is a chocolate based liquor which can be either caramel colored or dark colored. The darker variety is labeled as dark crème de cacao. It is the one we need for making this recipe. It should be kept in mind that there is no actual dairy based cream in it. Crème is a French word which is used because this liquor has a creamy texture.
For making the cocktail to perfection, you should use Cognac, which is a variety of French brandy, named after the town Cognac, located in France. It is considered one of the highest qualities of brandy available.
Brandy Alexander Cocktail Preparation
To prepare the drink, you need a large cordial glass or a cocktail glass. Rinse the glass properly and shake off any excess water. While the glass is still wet, place it in a freezer.
- Fill more than two thirds of a cocktail shaker with ice. Add all the ingredients in it one by one.
- Place the upturned portion of the shaker above the shaker’s bottom portion.
- Shake vigorously. Stop only after you have properly mixed all the ingredients and got them chilled.
- Remove the chilled cocktail glass that you placed in the freezer.
- Using a drink strainer, strain the prepared beverage in the chilled glass. The drink is ready.
- Give the finishing touch by garnishing with nutmeg. It is simple and can be done by sprinkling some grated nutmeg on the drink. Cinnamon can also be used in absence of nutmeg.
It can also be served as a strong drink by reducing all the other ingredients to 1/2 Oz and doubling the amount of brandy used. You can also make 2 other varieties, Raspberry Brandy Alexander and Ginger Brandy Alexander by adding either raspberry syrup or garnishing with ginger to the above mentioned recipe.
How To Serve
Brandy Alexander can be served over some crushed ice to make it perfect. You can also use it as a delicious treat during summer. Use vanilla ice cream instead of crème de cacao and mix it using a blender.
If mixed well, you shouldn’t be able to taste alcohol in this beverage, so be careful not to drink too many. Keep track of how much you have consumed and try to keep within limits. Secondly, it consists alcohol and hence a strict no-no for minors. Do not serve it to people below the age limit of drinking. And finally, remember the “no driving after drinking policy.” Keep these rules in mind in order to keep it classy.